Man's encounter with snake prompts warning
The state of Texas is home to the greatest variety of snakes in the nation.
After a close encounter at a local grocery store last week, one local victim is hoping his story will help raise awareness about snakes and how to handle a snake bite.
Last week a 28 year old man needed 13 vials of anti-venom over the span of two and a half days, to survive an encounter with a snake in a grocery store parking lot.
The snake was not native to the region, but his unfortunate circumstance has helped to raise awareness about creatures that can be extremely dangerous if they feel threatened.
Both local hospitals and veterinarians have procedures in place to treat snake bite victims at their facilities.
According to the Lamar Bruni Vergara Environmental Center, conditions are ideal for an increasing snake population.
Tonight on Pro 8 News at 10 we talk with a local vet and physician to find out ways to treat snake bites, along with how you can protect yourself if you do happen to cross paths with one of our slithery neighbors.