City Issues Warning About Lead Tainted Ice Cream
The city has confiscated several containers used by street vendors to hold ice cream and say those containers have tested positive for lead.
The City of Laredo Health Department is now issuing a warning about dangerous and illegal food vendors.
Our Annette Garcia has the story.
There's nothing better than some ice cream on a hot day.
Unless it's this ice cream.
The containers all have tested positive for lead.
Sold out of containers like these by vendors on the streets of Laredo, City Health officials say the homemade treat can pose a dangerous threat.
The vendors were selling without a permit and when the city confiscated seven steel containers and got them tested, all tested positive for lead.
“Can cause neurological problems can cause acute health issues wind up in the hospital with convulsions.”
Dr. Gonzalez says the homemade ice cream isn’t necessarily bad but when its put in containers like these that ice cream will absorb lead. And each time the spoon is scraped against the container another dose of lead is released.
“If you see vendors any type of frozen food, ice cream, palletas in these containers don’t buy it.”
Health Department officials don't know how many people were exposed and how much lead they were exposed to but don't believe it was very much.
Either way doctor Gonzalez says the public needs to ask vendors for a permit.
“We had 32 children a couple of years ago who got food poisoning because of illegal food managing. So yes look for it to be individually wrapped and yes ask for them to show you the permit.”
Health officials say they want people to continue their businesses but also want the public to be safe.
They remind vendors that everyone needs a permit to sell any food product.