Family Loses Their Home In A Fire
It was something the family never expected to happen to them. But after leaving a candle lit for just a short time, their home now remains in ruins. We spoke to them as they recalled what happened on that tragic day.
January 24th forever changed the lives of Ysa Martinez and her family. The mother to four year old Joshua said there had been an outage all day in the neighborhood, so Martinez decided to leave her grandmother at home while she passed the time by running errands.
"To go do our laundry just to get out of the house for a little bit and I lit a candle."
Leaving a candle lit while going to the laundry mat, Martinez returned 10 minutes later to see the scene of her home in chaos.
"I see the fire department. I see smoke and I think about my grandmother."
"This is my grandmother's room and I thank God she wasn't asleep."
Luckily, Martinez's grandmother, Yolanda Barnett, a long time substitute teacher for L.I.S.D. is ok. Things could have turned out worse since Barnett went in the home while it was on fire to try to save her chihuahua.
"She tried to go in there and because of that she inhaled a lot of the smoke. She had smoke inhalation so EMS took her just to check her out."
According to investigators, there was 50% to 70% of damage. As Martinez showed us what's left of the home she's lived in since she was two days old, it's easy to see just how fast a fire can spread from a candle.
"If you leave, blow em out. Blow em out because I thought I was careful. I really really did and apparently I wasn't careful enough."